IDAHO ARMY NATIONAL GUARD FACTS
The Idaho National Guard was established on March 14th, 1891, when the state legislature approved the organization to serve as the state’s militia. Since that time, the Idaho National Guard has served in every major U.S. conflict to include: the Spanish-American War (1898-99); the Mexican-Boarder Crisis (1916-17); World War I (1917-18); World War II (1940-45); the Korean War (1950-53); the Berlin Wall Crisis (1961-62); the Vietnam Conflict (1968-69); Desert Storm/Desert Shield (1990-91); and the Global War on Terrorism. In addition, units have also served on peace keeping missions in Hungary (1997-98) and Bosnia (2003-04).
Since 9/11, the 938th Engineer Detachment (2003-04) and the 116th Cavalry Brigade Combat Team (2003-04 and 2010-11) have deployed to Iraq in support of the Global War on Terrorism. The Idaho Army National Guard’s aviation assets, the 1-183d Aviation Battalion (Attack) (2005-06), Company A, 1-168 General Support Aviation Battalion, and Detachment 35, Operation Support Airlift Command (2005-06 and 2009-10), deployed to Kuwait and Afghanistan in support of the Global War on Terrorism. The 1-183d Aviation Battalion (Attack) also deployed in 2002-03 to Bosnia in support of Stabilization Force 12. More recently, the 116th Cavalry Brigade Combat Team, joined by members from all Idaho Army National Guard units, became the first National Guard brigade to complete a decisive action rotation at the Army’s National Training Center since 9/11 in August 2015.
The first Idaho Army National Guardsmen were infantry men until the end of WWI. In 1920, the 1st Cavalry, which would become the 116th Cavalry, organized with field artillery units following in 1921 and engineer assets in 1926. An aviation company formed in 1959, which became the 1-183d Aviation Battalion (Attack) in 1989.
Today, more than 3,000 Soldiers make up the Idaho Army National Guard with armories located in 25 communities throughout the state.
- Total Soldiers - 3005
- Active Guard Reserves (AGR): 331
- Drill Status Guardsmen: 2,112
- Status Guardsmen (Federal): 485
- Dual Status Guardsmen (State): 77
- Facilities and Training Areas
- More than 380 buildings
- Presence in 33 geographically dispersed sites
- Orchard Combat Training Center has more than 143,000 acres of training space and 21 training ranges
- Did you know?
- The original six units of the Idaho Army National Guard were in Albion, Boise City, Eagle Rock (Idaho Falls), Grangeville, Hailey and Weiser.
- National Guard units have been located in 51 communities since 1891.
- After WWI, the Idaho National Guard consisted of a single company located in American Falls in 1920.
Joint Forces Headquarters
116th Calvary Brigade Combat Team
- 1-163rd Combined Arms Battalion (MTARNG)
- 2/116 CAV REGT (Armored Reconnaissance Squadron)
- 3-116th Combined Arms Battalion (ORARNG)
- 1-148th Field Artillery Regiment
- 116th Brigade Engineer Battalion
- 145th Brigade Support Battalion
- State Aviation
- 183d Aviation Battalion (Attack)
- A/1-168 GSAB
- DET 1, 1-112th (LUH)
- DET 35 (C12)
- 204th Regional Training Institute
- Recruiting and Retention Battalion
- Installation Support Unit
- 101st Civil Support Team
- 25th Army Band
- IDARNG Medical Detachment
- DET 1, CO A 653d Trial Def